Did you know that India produces the most rugs in the world? In fact, it is the number one exporter. India’s rugs and the carpet market is reportedly over two billion dollars. It makes up 40% of the global rug and carpet market. Wow. Statista, a research firm, reported 2019 carpet and area rug sales of $11.32 billion in the United States. Double wow!
This is a serious business.
Table of Contents
- Home Decor Design Tips
- Safavieh Hollywood Collection: Mid-Century Modern Area Rug
- Home Dynamix Vega Mid-Century Modern Area Rug
- Home Dynamix Tribeca Slade Mid-Century Modern Area Rug
- Home Dynamix Tribeca Jasmine Mid-Century Modern Area Rug
- In Conclusion
Other countries make rugs too. Iran, China, Russia, Turkey, Pakistan, Tibet, and Nepal are also major exporters. Iran (former Persia) makes oriental rugs.
Safavieh’s designer-quality rugs come out of major weaving centers. These include Iran, India, Tibet, Nepal, China, and Pakistan. Safavieh’s jute, sisal, and seagrass rugs are non-toxic, sustainable, and eco-friendly. These rugs also use premium Indian or New Zealand wool.
Here’s a short company video on their process:
Modern rugs today fit more contemporary themes when it comes to home decor. It’s amazing how certain styles or patterns flow with an entire room or working space. Area rugs have sleek, straight lines that fit with modern, sleek, clean home interiors.
Area rugs also have many benefits. They can help absorb noise. Think about that cozy book nook, your living room, or that special spot where your napping pod is. They make rooms feel more spacious.
More than ever, people are looking for spaces to decompress. To meditate. To recharge. This applies to pre-pandemic, pandemic, and post-pandemic living.
Rugs and carpets also provide added comfort with the extra cushion and warmth. You’ll feel it when you compare it against a hardwood floor. Cold feet would notice too! For pet owners, it could become the second favorite place to their mid-century modern pet bed.
Few people realize that rugs act like anchors that enclose furniture to define it. Almost like a museum display. They add color and texture. If you already have a carpet, adding a rug is not silly. In fact, it enhances your interior decor.
Home Decor Design Tips
- In smaller condos or apartments, a 5 feet x 8 feet rug is ideal to give off a more spacious feel. Considering chairs or sofa, we recommend layouts near the end of the rug. The legs should be off the rug to provide stability. Also, it helps to give off a cluttered look which happens in smaller spaces. This rug can support a table with four chairs.
- In medium-sized living areas, an 8 feet by 10 feet rug is a very popular option to add balance. We recommend the front legs of chairs or sofa on the outer edge of the carpet for stability and to limit clutter. This rug can support a table with 6-8 chairs.
- Large rooms and living spaces can accommodate 12 feet/10 feet by 14 feet rugs, making room for a bold statement. This space is more spacious allowing for entertainment and gatherings. We recommend chairs, sofas, and other furniture have all legs on the rug. This serves to define your home decor furnishings in a large space.
- A rug that is 5 feet by 8 feet can support a full or twin-sized bed. An 8 feet by 10 feet or 9 feet by 12 feet rug can support a king or queen-sized bed.
Below, we’ve picked some well-priced but gorgeous mid-century modern area rugs to consider.
We get star-struck when we hear about anything called a “Hollywood” connection. Safavieh’s grey/teal rug is beautiful. This rug has a pattern that is modern but coastal or beachy. Like New England or California. It accommodates, natural light and softer tones.
Sizing in at 2 feet 7 inches by 5 feet, this rectangular rug has a refined-woven construction. It is easy to care for and should not shed. At 0.5 inch thickness, provides solid cushion and comfort for tired feet and gives off a clean aesthetic.
Safavieh has been around for 100 years. It is a trusted brand providing diverse styles and qualities. Made with durable polypropylene yarns.
The rug is well priced and has been getting rave reviews for its beautiful pattern.
Made in Turkey, this is a gorgeous rug. We love it! The rich earth tone hues of black, brown, crimson red give off a warm, cozy sensation! An easy complement to your home styling.
Home Dynamix’s mid-century modern rug works for living rooms, bedrooms, and the office. It’s also perfect for your child’s dorm room or your home entryway.
The rug comes in several sizes:
- 9 x 12
- 8 x 10
- 6 x 9
- 5 x 7
- 3 x 5
- 2 x 3
- 2 x 7 (entryway)
Made with durable polypropylene yarns, the rug offers easy care. Shaking, vacuuming or spot-cleaning is simple. The rug is stain and fade-resistant and will not shed with high traffic use.
With a proper thickness, this surface will keep feet warm and relaxed. To keep the rug steady, consider a Gorilla Grip mat underneath for high traffic and vacuum chores.
This rug gives off a warm and fuzzy feeling. Pleasing to the eyes, we’ll say!
Another rich and warm pattern that gives us the fuzzies. This rug has an abstract but modern design. The pattern swirl in neutral brown tones and bold red scream warm and welcoming.
The soft but strong fiber design provides cushion and warmth for tired or cold feet. Suitable for high traffic. This rug is suitable for most living spaces but feels the greatest impact will be in the living and dining room. Matches in a perfect way with white or cream walls, light grey chairs with espresso/walnut legs. Rooms decorated with wood cabinets, natural decor, grey tones, and plants will shine.
This rug comes in many shapes like runner, rectangular, and round. It is also available in many different sizes so you won’t run out of ideas where to add this beautiful rug
- 1 feet, 9 inches by 7 feet, 2 inches
- 5 feet, 2 inches
- 5 feet, 2 inches by 7 feet, 2 inches
- 6 feet, 7 inches by 9 feet, 10 inches
- 7 feet, 10 inches
- 7 feet, 10 inches by 10 feet, 6 inches
- 9 feet, 2 inches by 12 feet, 5 inches
- 18.9 inches by 31.5 inches
- 26 inches by 6 feet
- 26 inches by 12 feet
- 39 inches by 55 inches
Go ahead and enjoy this contemporary design to spruce up your home decor. Eye-catching and warm, your guests will enjoy your statement of function and fashion.
An elegant, geometric pattern made of warm, brown, earth tones is perfect for a modern living room or space. Some pattern rugs deliver strong, bold statements which might be uncomfortable for some.
With the Tribeca Jasmine mid-century modern rug, you introduce elegance and warmth. The rug is suitable for many living spaces but we recommend it for living and dining room areas.
Like other Home Dynamix rugs, cleaning and care are easy. For stability, consider Home Dynamix’s non-skid cushioned rug pad which is sold separately.
Many customers rave about its quality, years later. Its thickness is pleasing to tired and cold feet. Complements white/cream walls, natural hardwood, and dark and soft earth-toned furniture.
Selecting area rugs can be a challenging experience. With a little guidance, we want you to begin your exploration of mid-century modern design. Like anything, you start slow with the lowest risk. You start with your bedroom, a rug, or a small pet bed. Then you consider the larger home decor and furniture items after these baby steps. We know you’ll love these rugs.